Test de Memorias 4116, 4164 y 41464 - NEWS

Proyectos que no sean de hardware abierto o que no incluyan el código abierto

Moderador: Fundadores

Reglas del Foro
Aquí se puede hablar de proyectos de hardware que no tenga sus esquematicos, o si llevan software que este no disponga del código fuente.
Responder
Germany slabbi
El infierno es su lugar
El infierno es su lugar
Contactar:

Re: Test de Memorias 4116, 4164 y 41464 - NEWS

Mensaje por slabbi » 27 Ago 2020, 21:10

Hi,

first at all sorry for writing in English. I am the curator of the 8bit-museum.de, a website that exists for 25 years now, and the developer of the chip tester you are talking about. In case you have any questions please feel free to ask me about it, but let me give you some information about it.

I started developing a tester for SRAMs for the Arduino about two years ago to test some memory chips from an EACA Video Genie and the Commodore PET, because the popular TL866 does not support these types. Shortly afterwards I developed a circuit board for 4116 DRAMs, also for the Arduino. Since several supply voltages are required, I added a power supply shortly afterwards.

However, it quickly became apparent that pretty much every computer manufacturer used its own RAM types, so that more RAM types were added, e.g. for the Sinclair Spectrum the half-defective 3732. The Arduino tester quickly became too impractical (too little space), so that I have now reached this state over several versions.

The current version can not only test lots of SRAMs and DRAMs, but also identify EPROMs (very useful if the label is no longer readable), it can identify (EP)ROM content (e.g. if you find an EPROM and do not know which software is on it), he can test several TTL/CMOS devices. It is also possible to save the content of (EP)ROMs on SD memory card, also possible with 2704/2708 EPROMs and with bipolar ROMs (though saving from bipolar ROMs is not tested yet since I do not have any).

During the development, I tried to choose a middle way between cheap but still useful and accurate. So I choose an ATmega2560 which is quite cheap but allows to perform digital testing and - if you like - you can still use the Arduino framework in order to write your own code for the board because of its past. I saw that @papanillu started a prove of concept. You can use the board of the chip tester also for own experiments. It is not that simple but maybe it makes some fun ;)

For those who asked for a board: some boards have arrived and are currently at the customs. You should receive a message in the next few days.

slabbi

España Valfac
Aspirante a demonio
Aspirante a demonio
Contactar:

Mensaje por Valfac » 27 Ago 2020, 21:59

Hello @slabbi

Welcome! Im one of the users who is waiting to receive your amazing test board.

It's great to see you here!

Greetings,

Valfac

España_Cataluña papanillu
Aspirante a demonio
Aspirante a demonio
Contactar:

Mensaje por papanillu » 27 Ago 2020, 22:04

Hi Stephan,

Great to see you here,
I can confirm you than I got my board.

Regards.

España Popopo
Demonio segundo orden
Demonio segundo orden
Contactar:

Mensaje por Popopo » 28 Ago 2020, 00:28

slabbi escribió:
27 Ago 2020, 21:10
Hi,

first at all sorry for writing in English. I am the curator of the 8bit-museum.de, a website that exists for 25 years now, and the developer of the chip tester you are talking about. In case you have any questions please feel free to ask me about it, but let me give you some information about it.

I started developing a tester for SRAMs for the Arduino about two years ago to test some memory chips from an EACA Video Genie and the Commodore PET, because the popular TL866 does not support these types. Shortly afterwards I developed a circuit board for 4116 DRAMs, also for the Arduino. Since several supply voltages are required, I added a power supply shortly afterwards.

However, it quickly became apparent that pretty much every computer manufacturer used its own RAM types, so that more RAM types were added, e.g. for the Sinclair Spectrum the half-defective 3732. The Arduino tester quickly became too impractical (too little space), so that I have now reached this state over several versions.

The current version can not only test lots of SRAMs and DRAMs, but also identify EPROMs (very useful if the label is no longer readable), it can identify (EP)ROM content (e.g. if you find an EPROM and do not know which software is on it), he can test several TTL/CMOS devices. It is also possible to save the content of (EP)ROMs on SD memory card, also possible with 2704/2708 EPROMs and with bipolar ROMs (though saving from bipolar ROMs is not tested yet since I do not have any).

During the development, I tried to choose a middle way between cheap but still useful and accurate. So I choose an ATmega2560 which is quite cheap but allows to perform digital testing and - if you like - you can still use the Arduino framework in order to write your own code for the board because of its past. I saw that @papanillu started a prove of concept. You can use the board of the chip tester also for own experiments. It is not that simple but maybe it makes some fun ;)

For those who asked for a board: some boards have arrived and are currently at the customs. You should receive a message in the next few days.

slabbi
Hello Slabbi,
Nice to meet you and welcome :)
Nothing is impossible. I have seen your project, that is impressive. Mine is not so ambitious as yours. And I fixed the cost about 7€. It will not be easy to get :) and will take me time to will. :)
There are two projects from another two authors with Arduino Nano, and based on theirs I am sure I could do one that enclose both even other chips that could have the same VCC and number of pins that could be covered by Arduino Nano, lack of memory... maybe... let's see. :) whenever not so crazy to use a ROM to load some patters or configurations according with the hardware.

By now... just 3 kind of memories DRAM... later I will see :) the challenge is not to cover the most possible DRAM o SRAM types as yours do, for this already I have advice to people who need to buy your project. The challenge is to do it so modular that could add gadgets to expand it without need of new boards, new revisions, etc. A board ready for the very near future.

It will takes time and lot of efforts but I will not pay for what I need some prices that I have seen on the Internet and only to test one type of DRAM.
When I will need more hope to not... I have no doubts and also I will buy your projects that is enough mature and the price is pretty fair.

Jamaica BCH
Demonio tercer orden
Demonio tercer orden
Contactar:

Re: Comprobador de Memorias 4116, 4164 y quizás 41464

Mensaje por BCH » 28 Ago 2020, 11:06

Popopo escribió:
21 Ago 2020, 15:35
Seguro que genial. Lo he estado mirando y parece muy muy bueno.
¿te retiro de la lista? No tiene sentido que gastes dinero en uno como este cuando vas a tener ... LA BESTIA PARDA XDDDDD
Si, porfa. Quitame de la lista por el momento. Saludos!

España Popopo
Demonio segundo orden
Demonio segundo orden
Contactar:

Re: Comprobador de Memorias 4116, 4164 y quizás 41464

Mensaje por Popopo » 28 Ago 2020, 13:34

BCH escribió:
28 Ago 2020, 11:06
Popopo escribió:
21 Ago 2020, 15:35
Seguro que genial. Lo he estado mirando y parece muy muy bueno.
¿te retiro de la lista? No tiene sentido que gastes dinero en uno como este cuando vas a tener ... LA BESTIA PARDA XDDDDD
Si, porfa. Quitame de la lista por el momento. Saludos!
Listo :)
Gracias por avisar. :)
saludos

Germany slabbi
El infierno es su lugar
El infierno es su lugar
Contactar:

Mensaje por slabbi » 28 Ago 2020, 13:49

In case you have not seen the lists with the supported memory and logic chips yet, you can find these lists here:
https://8bit-museum.de/sonstiges/hardwa ... hiptester/
There are four lists: DRAMs, SRAMs, (EP)PROMs, Logic ICs

Note that a very few chips cannot be tested because of hardware limitations, e.g. Intel 1101 and 1103 have very special voltage requirements. Other chips are currently not supported because I have not seen these in the wild, e.g. 82S21 (32 x 2 bit), MK4332 (2x 16k x 1 in one chip), or the latched variants of bipolar ROMs (e.g. 82S183). When these chips really exist ;) I could implement these when I have a sample.

You will also find an English manual on that page.

China nandove
Aspirante a demonio
Aspirante a demonio
Contactar:

Mensaje por nandove » 28 Ago 2020, 13:57

Pues no se si estoy a tiempo de apuntarme :)

Germany slabbi
El infierno es su lugar
El infierno es su lugar
Contactar:

Mensaje por slabbi » 28 Ago 2020, 17:52

nandove escribió:
28 Ago 2020, 13:57
I expect to get the printed circuits tomorrow. I have a very few left, so it is still possible to get one.
Just send me an email through my contact form on https://8bit-museum.de/kontakt/

España Popopo
Demonio segundo orden
Demonio segundo orden
Contactar:

Mensaje por Popopo » 28 Ago 2020, 22:13

nandove escribió:
28 Ago 2020, 13:57
Te apunto en cuanto pueda, pero no te preocupes. Quedo avisado, eso sí, dime que incluyo en la lista
Gracias nandove

Responder

Volver a “Proyectos de hardware generales”